Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Welcome to Thailand

So, it has been a fair while since my last post and to say the least, there have been quite some changes in my life. Far too many to list here! So I shall start afresh.

I have just moved to the tiny island of Koh Tao. Koh Tao sits in the western shore of the gulf of Thailand. A short ferry ride from the better known island Koh Samui. I came here to persue my love of Scuba Diving. The plan was to complete my Dive Master training, which would take about a month and a half, and continue on for a few more months working as a Dive Master and Dive Instructor's assistant.

In short, a Dive Master takes certified divers around a dive site and shows them everything worth showing. Not a bad job...diving in the tropics everyday and sharing amazing moments with people who are doing something they absolutely love.

Like I said, that was the plan. And by plan I mean, I booked a ticket on Sunday and left New Zealand on the Wednesday (which is why I didn't say goodbye to many people...sorry!!!). Anyway, while I was deciding what dive school I would do my course with (there are 50 on an island that is about 21 km²) I walked past a Free Diving shop. Last time I was here I was gutted I never gave it a go. So I thought I would try the two day course before I got underway with my Dive Master. 

I can't even describe how awesome it was. I had this total euphoric sense while I was in the water. I haven't mediated before but I imagine this is the feeling you aim for. Complete serenity. On both days I reached the days limit in my first dive, firstly 12 meters and then 20.

At the end of the course my instructor sat me down and said that I should seriously consider doing my Free Diving Master as I was a "complete natural". This is potentially a sales pitch that they spin but hey, I've never been told I was a natural at something! Sold.

The difference between a scuba master and free diving master is that scuba gives you a legitimate qualification, so I could at the end of the course get a job. With free diving the master course is just an intense 5 week training program, where you become a more experienced and better diver. Testing your limits etc etc.

I have enrolled in the advanced free diver course which will take three days. Then I will decide if I follow my heart and do free diving or my head and do scuba, where after forking out a tuition i'll actually be employable.



Stay tuned........dun dun dun ;)

Ps I hope to figure out how to post images from my iPad onto here by my next post.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the beginning of an incredible adventure! Anything underwater is wondrous and I don't think you need to be told to go all out, enjoy the fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a blast! V envious right now! Have fun Soren x

    ReplyDelete